- Home / Artikel /
- Project description – The Milky Way to Development
Project description – The Milky Way to Development
The Ambition – finding win-win solutions for the dairy sector in Europe and West Africa
The common ambition of the partners in the alliance is to develop a socially, environmentally and economically sustainable market for milk in West Africa that allows both small farmers and large companies to produce and deliver their products to the market. This happens in a dialogue leading to concrete initiatives between West African industrial dairies that are already involved in the sector, European industrial dairies who are concerned about their social responsibility and their long-term commercial strategy, the most forward-thinking dairy producer organisations, and finally regional political institutions, such as ECOWAS and UEMOA.
- Coordinated by the sustainable development NGO CARE Denmark and financed by Danida.
- Partners: CIRAD – a leading French/West African research institution.
- Billital Maroobe Network – a regional pastoral farmer organisation representing 500.000 West African pastoralists
- The Danish Agriculture and Food Council representing the farming and food industry in Denmark
- Copenhagen Business School – one of the largest business schools in Europe.
- Arla Foods – the third largest dairy cooperative in the world – has since joined the alliance.
- The consequences of the reformed EU agricultural policy on households in West Africa are documented.
- Local milk producers, dairy industries in West Africa and in Europe are aware about the consequences.
- The positioning of national dairy umbrella organizations is reinforced.
- Industrialized dairies in West Africa and European dairy enterprises are equipped with the tools and knowledge to undertake socially responsible business in the region.
- Consumer confidence and loyalty in dairy products ‘made in Sahel’ is improved and fair prices for small-scale producers are negotiated.
Contact: CARE Danmark, Programme Coordinator Line Gamrath Rasmussen: email@example.com